In 1897, the Harrison’s built a flour mill to process grain into flour for local farmers. A year after opening, they added a large stone warehouse. The mill was operated by three generations of the Harrison family.
Originally powered by steam, the mill was converted to diesel engines in the 1930’s and then electrical current in 1947. An associated workshop enabled the Harrison’s to make repairs on site. As well, they did mechanical work for others until dismantling the shop in 1955.
In the 1940’s the family purchased a lumber business and built a new lumber yard adjacent to the mill in 1962. They phased out the lumber business in 1972 but continued to mill grain until the late 1990’s.
The two grain elevators were built in 1928 by Federal Grain Limited. They were moved to this location late 1940s.
The facility is believed to be the oldest mill in Western Canada.
Information obtained through the Manitoba Historical Society.